|News by industry|
|Coffee, tea, soft drink, water|
|Friday, June 29, 2012||09:00|
Johnnie Walker, Bundaberg, Guinness, Captain Morgan and Smirnoff campaigns awarded for creativity
(drinks media wire) - Diageo, the world’s leading premium drinks business has, together with its agency partners, celebrated a number of wins at the prestigious Cannes Lions Advertising Festival 2012. The Cannes Lions Awards have marked excellence within creative communications for nearly 60 years. Diageo creative campaigns were recognised with 11 awards, comprising 2 golds, 5 silvers and 4 bronzes.
Diageo‘s marketing focus and ways of working continue to be in service of strengthening our brands and supporting the company’s growth targets. Consumer participation sits at the heart of that thinking, enabling consumers to become more engaged with brands through compelling content and experiences across multiple channels and mediums.
Andy Fennell, Diageo Chief Marketing Officer, commented, “These wins are a testament to the strong partnerships and collaborative relationships between our agencies and our own brand teams. Our ongoing desire is to deliver creative magic that delights our consumers and strengthens our brands and business performance – just as Arthur Guinness or John Walker did generations ago. We do this by anticipating, and responding to the changing dynamics of the world around us while rooting our work in the fundamentals of great marketing - real consumer insight, translating into great execution delivered with flair and agility.”
The winning campaigns are highlighted below:
- The Watermark campaign with Leo Burnett Sydney on Bundaberg Rum has won a gold lion for creative effectiveness, and was born following the Queensland floods of December 2010. Bundaberg Rum is synonymous with Queensland; the fate of the region therefore directly impacted the fate of the brand. The Watermark campaign became a powerful platform and symbol of resilience and recovery, with all proceeds going towards rebuilding the area.
- The Guinness Christmas outdoor campaign with Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO won three silver lions at the awards, in the outdoor category. The campaign centred around a simple idea that men receive many unwanted Christmas presents, when all they really want is a pint of Guinness.
- The Guinness brand also won a gold, silver and bronze lion in the design category for the Roots campaign with Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO, which took the form of a series of posters creating Guinness’ long standing relationship with rugby. The campaign used simple visual metaphors showing individuals overcoming personal limits, with the traditional Guinness line ‘Made of More’.
- A silver lion was awarded to the Smirnoff Nightlife Exchange Project with Special Group New Zealand in the branded content & entertainment category. The campaign saw New Zealanders submit their best ideas for an extraordinary night out. The best were chosen and given funding and stock to organise the event in just one week. Everything was filmed and turned into a brand new TV series: The Smirnoff Night Project.
- The Captain Morgan, ‘Captain’s Conquest’ mobile game with Anomaly New York won a bronze lion in the mobile category. The mobile platform allows consumers to play and live like the Captain did, and engage with the identity of the brand in a novel interactive way.
- The rebranding of Johnnie Walker Blue Label with Sedley Place also won a bronze lion for design, with the team creating a bottle which demonstrates the brand’s premium credentials whilst reflecting the unique heritage of Johnnie Walker.
- Bundaberg Red with Leo Burnett won two Bronze Lions in the radio category. The campaign featured a series of short adverts focusing on specific animals, and highlighted how humans are naturally able to appreciate the unique taste of Bundaberg Red compared to their animal counterparts, and the campaign won recognition for the scriptwriting of the adverts in particular.
For further information, please contact:
T: + 44 (0) 203 047 2114
Diageo is the world’s leading premium drinks business with an outstanding collection of beverage alcohol brands across spirits, wines and beer categories. These brands include Johnnie Walker, Crown Royal, JεB, Buchanan’s, Windsor and Bushmills whiskies, Smirnoff, Cîroc and Ketel One vodkas, Baileys, Captain Morgan, Jose Cuervo, Tanqueray and Guinness.
Diageo is a global company, with its products sold in more than 180 markets around the world. The company is listed on both the New York Stock Exchange (DEO) and the London Stock Exchange (DGE). For more information about Diageo, its people and its brands, visit www. diageo.com. For Diageo’s global resource that promotes responsible drinking through the sharing of best practice tools, information and initiatives, visit www.DRINKiQ.com.
Celebrating life, every day, everywhere.
About Cannes Lions
The Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity is the world's biggest celebration of creativity in communications. As the most prestigious international creative communications awards, more than 28,000 entries from all over the world are showcased and judged at the Festival. Winners receive the highly coveted Lion trophy, presented at four award ceremonies throughout the week.
The Festival is also the only truly global meeting place for advertisers, advertising and communication professionals. Over 9,000 delegates from 90 countries attend seven days of workshops, exhibitions, screenings, master classes and high-profile seminars by industry leaders such as Dan Wieden, Sir John Hegarty, Bob Greenberg, Maurice Lévy, David Droga, Mark Tutssel, Sir Martin Sorrell and Tham Khai Meng, as well as people like Mark Zuckerberg, Ben Stiller, Yoko Ono, Kofi Annan, Steve Ballmer and Bob Geldof.
|Name: News & Media|
|Company: Diageo plc|
|Address: Lakeside Drive - London NW10 7HQ|
|Country: UNITED KINGDOM|
|Phone: 44 (0)20 8978 2749|