|News by industry|
|Coffee, tea, soft drink, water|
|Thursday, September 15, 2011||14:03|
Presenting New Vanilla Smirnoff
- This autumn, the Smirnoff® Co. is revealing an exciting addition to its Flavours range with the introduction of new Smirnoff® vanilla flavoured vodka. Available across grocery and convenience, Vanilla Smirnoff will be in stores nationwide from September.
- Since the launch of Smirnoff Lime and Smirnoff Green Apple in 2009, the range has doubled the value of the flavoured vodka segment in the Grocery channel.
- Flavour technology experts have identified four main consumer flavour profiles relevant to flavoured vodka: ‘Sharp and acidic’, such as Lime Smirnoff; ‘fresh and cleansing’, such as Green Apple Smirnoff; ‘sweet berry’, such as Blueberry Smirnoff; and ‘sweet and flowery’, which is where the opportunity for new Vanilla Smirnoff lies, as a perfect complement to the existing flavours.
- Vanilla Smirnoff benefits from the simplicity of its serve – long and mixed with cola – making it easy for shoppers to create a great tasting, long mixed spirit drink at home.
- The new flavour performed particularly strongly in consumer testing, boasting similarly high levels of appeal and purchase intent as the current flavours in the range.
- Vanilla Smirnoff will be supported by a heavyweight outdoor advertising campaign in October and a comprehensive in-store activity plan along with the rest of the range.
- Diageo GB expects to continue to drive further trial through the roll-out of a 5cl miniature gift pack for Smirnoff Flavours in key high street and grocery retailers for the first time this Christmas, delivering a total of 600,000 5cl miniature samples to consumers.
New member of Smirnoff premix range
- This autumn will also see a new Smirnoff addition to the incredibly successful premix range. Tapping into the robust popularity of Lime Smirnoff as the best loved variant in the current Smirnoff Flavours line up, the brand is proud to introduce the national roll out of Lime Smirnoff & Cola premix.
- The introduction of the new SKU follows the success of the existing ten-can premix portfolio, which includes Gordon’s® Gin & Schweppes Tonic and Pimm’s® & Lemonade.
The premix category is currently worth £50m in retail sales value and has grown by 46% in the last year - the fastest growing category in the Beers, Wines and Spirits market. This growth is being driven by the popularity of existing SKUs as well as new product injections.
- The launch will be supported by an experiential sampling campaign that will run outside selected stores across the UK. Diageo GB will also be encouraging trial through targeted in-store and 6-sheet activity.
Smirnoff positioning and performance
· Smirnoff is the number one spirit in GB and number one spirit in the world.
· Smirnoff® No. 21™ vodka was the top growth brand within the big five brands over Christmas 2010 – growing at +9% to £77m within grocery, adding +£6m, and growing share to 42%.
· Smirnoff Flavours delivered 7% of the vodka category growth at Christmas last year (Blueberry, Green Apple and Lime).
Matt Partner, senior innovation commercialisation manager at Diageo GB, comments:
“Innovation within the vodka category is key to driving excitement and recruiting new category shoppers. Our Smirnoff Flavours and Premix offerings are the perfect way of doing that, as we not only expand the consumer palette with the introduction of new tastes and serves, but also allow them to experience perfect versions of serves they already know and love in the comfort of their own homes.
“The launch of Vanilla Smirnoff is particularly exciting for us as we now have a range of four SKUs that appeal to a spectrum of different consumer tastes. With a simple serve message and a comprehensive support plan, we expect it to perform strongly, particularly as consumers look to try new drinks in the run up to the festive season.
“The Lime Smirnoff & Cola premix is reflective of a more modern serve, encompassing classic long mixed drink ingredients, but in a slightly different make-up. Lime Smirnoff continues to be the most popular variant from the Smirnoff Flavours range and introducing it in perfect serve premix form extends that popularity to a greater number of consumers and occasions.”
 Nielsen Scantrack to April 2011
 Flavour House 2007
 Kirk Research, 300 UK participants, October 2010
 Nielsen, MAT TO WE 09.07.11
 Impact 2010, by volume
- Ends -
Notes to editors:
• The SMIRNOFF, SMIRNOFF VANILLA VODKA and SMIRNOFF No.21 words and associated logos are trade marks
For more information contact:
Rosie Harries - Mercieca PR - T: 0207 485 0100 - E: email@example.com
Ruth Allchurch - Diageo GB - T: 0208 978 6786 - E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Diageo is the world's leading premium drinks business with an outstanding collection of beverage alcohol brands across spirits, wines, and beer categories. These brands include Johnnie Walker, Guinness, Smirnoff, J&B, Baileys, Cuervo, Tanqueray, Captain Morgan, Crown Royal, Beaulieu Vineyard and Sterling Vineyards wines. Diageo is a global company, trading in more than 180 countries around the world. The company is listed on both the New York Stock Exchange (DEO) and the London Stock Exchange (DGE). For more information about Diageo, its people, brands, and performance, visit us at Diageo.com. Visit www.drinkaware.co.uk and our global resource www.DRINKiQ.com for information and guidance on responsible drinking. In Great Britain, Diageo is a member of The Portman Group and supports The Drinkaware Trust.
Celebrating life, every day, everywhere.
© Copyright-free press only
|See the picture|
|Name: News & Media|
|Company: Diageo plc|
|Address: Lakeside Drive - London NW10 7HQ|
|Country: UNITED KINGDOM|
|Phone: 44 (0)20 8978 2749|